Friday, January 6, 2012

Embracing the New Year


There is a part of me that fears a new year. Why? Perhaps it is because I'm older and know some of the challenges and heartaches this life can bring. Looking back on the past year, there were several close calls to circumstances which could have ended must worse. Each year I know life waits out there for me - the good, the bad and ugly. How do we face this? As I read Psalm 27, I find my strength and peace for the days ahead. It starts with "The Lord is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear. The Lord is the stronghold of my life - of whom shall I be afraid?".  What do you fear for the upcoming year?  This past year, we almost lost my father-in-law, issues with children that could have ended much worse, my husband had an injury which resulted in a medical condition that was fortunately caught before anything bad happened, and I am certain the list could go on.  There is always going to be problems in this life.  God's word tells us not to fear.  If we cling to the Lord and make Him our stronghold, we can have strength in whatever comes our way.  Definition of stronghold - A place that has been fortified so as to protect it against attack and a place where a particular cause or belief is strongly defended or upheld.  Let the Lord be that place for you this year.  Let Him be your protector against the attacks of this world; and let Him rise up and be your defender so you can uphold your faith.

In verse 4 of chapter 27, we find more direction and comfort. "One thing I ask from the LORD,  this only do I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze on the beauty of the LORD  and to seek him in his temple. For in the day of trouble he will keep me safe in his dwelling; he will hide me in the shelter of his sacred tent and set me high upon a rock."   Don't try to take on each day by yourself.  Dwell with the Lord all the days of your life, set your eyes on Who the Lord is and seek Him always.  Psalm 27:7-8 " Hear my voice when I call, LORD; be merciful to me and answer me. My heart says of you, “Seek his face!” Your face, LORD, I will seek."  This morning I was praying and I thought.  Don't only seek the Lord's face but seek His ear.  We seek His face when we open up His word so we can know Him better.  We seek His ear when we spend a lot of time talking with Him.  We need to be speaking with Him always.  Praising Him for His protection and blessings, looking for guidance, crying out for help, praying for others, and drawing near to Him.

When things begin to happen in the upcoming year, be ready.  So many times our decisions and reactions can either make the situation better or worse.  Verse 11, " Teach me your way, LORD;  lead me in a straight path."  Decide today to turn to Him when times come that you can't handle.  He is waiting there patiently for you and is anxious to speak to your heart and guide you on that "straight path".  He desires good for you and loves you.  Face the year with strength and confidence with Christ by your side.  "I remain confident of this: I will see the goodness of the LORD in the land of the living. Wait for the LORD; be strong and take heart and wait for the LORD."

No comments:

Post a Comment