Monday, January 16, 2012

Don't Settle For Band-aids



In a world where everything is at our fingertips, it isn't a wonder we all expect the quick fix. As we come together as friends, families and in fellowship, we share our needs with one another. Then we begin to intercede presenting those needs to our Heavenly Father. When we pray out of sympathy and cry out for broken things to be fixed - are we inviting contentment at the risk of remaining out of touch with God. For instance, I might ask a friend to pray for one of my children to not have to go through a crisis. The crisis is breaking my heart and my child's. What do you think our Father wants for us? What does the crisis bring? Brokenness, prayers, crying out to God, etc. Is the crisis bad or good? Let's play parent for a minute. You have a child who has done something that isn't right. You know the child is better than the actions they are showing. As a parent, you implement a consequence so the child can reflect on their behavior, learn to rise above and feel remorse for their action. Sometimes consequences are good just so we can stop and think. I know when I use to ground my children, they would turn into these soft spoken, sweet, and humble beings. Are we like that as children of God? Has our Almighty Father given us a time out? If humility truly proceeds honor, then should we pray for it to gain honor? Proverbs 15:33 "Wisdom’s instruction is to fear the LORD, and humility comes before honor." What I am rambling about and trying to say is are we praying for band-aids to fix our problems, when we should be praying for transformation because of them and through them. The quick fix might help for the moment, but in the long run the issue will resurface. Do we want ourselves and those we love to be simply patched up or changed?

Instead of wanting the situation immediately fixed, try to step back and to focus on God's word. Base every prayer on the Word. Prayer that brings results must be based on God’s word. Jesus said “If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you.” John 15:7 We need to be in line with what the Lord desires for us. There are things in my life that create anxiety in me. I want so desperately for them to go away, however I know they are doing a spiritual work in me to make me more in the image of Christ. I am far from where I need to be in regards to becoming like my Lord. Romans 8:29 "For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the firstborn among many brothers." 1 Corinthians 11:1 "Be imitators of me, as I am of Christ." Romans 6:4 "We were buried therefore with him by baptism into death, in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, we too might walk in newness of life." Reflect on the crosses you might have to carry to walk in the newness of life.

If we pray for the quick fix, the band-aid to only cover up a need, we might miss God's powerful hand in our lives or in the lives of those we love. Pray for God to use circumstances to draw us into the very life of God - striving to put ourselves in His place, having His mind and His perspective. Pray based on transformation and redemption!

"And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ." Philippians 1:6

No comments:

Post a Comment