Friday, September 18, 2015

Consecrate




I heard the word "consecrate" in a song and God kept putting it in front of me through scripture, so I decided to dig a little deeper into it.  The song said, "consecrate yourself to me and you will see amazing things."  The Bible says, "You shall consecrate yourselves therefore and be holy, for I am the Lord your God" Leviticus 20:7. The definition of consecration means that you are to set yourself apart from evil, turn to the Lord, and be prepared to be used by God.

How can we apply this lifestyle to our daily living?  Each of us will make choices every day of what we choose to listen to, watch, deem important, & spend our time & energy on.  We all were designed by our Heavenly Father to be "seeking" something in life.   By seeking God, purity works it's way into our experience because enjoying God's presence becomes our preferred way of life, not sin or unwanted behaviors. By seeking God, the earthly ways of unrighteous living become less and less attractive to us.

I understand it is through Christ's sacrifice that we are made righteous and we are consecrated through Him before a Holy God; however I believe consecration has 2 parts; God’s part and ours.
Our part is the separating ourselves from sinful living.  Read in Psalm 119: 1-3. "Blessed are those whose ways are blameless, who walk according to the law of the Lord.  Blessed are those who keep his statutes and seek him with all their heart—  they do no wrong but follow his ways."  Or Psalm 119:10, "I seek you with all my heart; do not let me stray from your commands."  By seeking to understand scripture, God's words of wisdom we learn what God wants us to do, how we should live and most importantly get to know Him. The words of God’s law, God’s guidelines for us to live by, are to be the air we breathe and the expressions on the tip of our tongue. God’s wisdom is the source of all we need to shape our lives. That’s why the teaching of God is a delight—in it our hearts find hope and our souls find peace. 

 Quote below from Oswald Chambers regarding God's desire for us - Consecrate!

"It is no use praying unless we are living as children of God. Then, Jesus says - Everyone that asketh receiveth. God has one destined end for mankind, viz., holiness. His one aim is the production of saints. God is not an eternal blessing-machine for men; He did not come to save men out of pity: He came to save men because He had created them to be holy. Holiness is not only what God gives me, but what I manifest that God has given me."
 

No comments:

Post a Comment