Saturday, January 17, 2015

Lighting the Path

A few days ago, my husband and I went to walk the mountain.  This mountain is a pretty good hike, about 7 miles.  We typically get there at the end of the day and are making our way off the mountain as the sun begins to set.  As we make our way to the car, we are greeted by a big beautiful moon.  On this particular day; however there were some obstacles in our way.  It was after we had several days of some pretty heavy rains.  As a result, our hike became somewhat lengthier due to avoiding the flooding along the trail.  This wasn't that difficult until we begin to lose daylight.  My prepared husband happened to have two small flashlights in his bag.  These saved us. Even though the flashlights only made a small light, we were able to keep the light in front of our feet to make sure we didn't trip, lose a foot in a mud hole, or worse find ourselves in ankle deep water.  The challenges of this added more time to our walk and at least from my perspective...stress.  I must admit I had 1.5 melt downs as we made our way out.  Needless to say it was challenging but if it hadn't been for the light, we would have been in a terrible predicament. 

Life can be like this too.  We try so many times to get through life without the Light.  The Light I'm referring to is the light of Jesus.  He shines in our lives through His word.  This Light offers us warmth through His love, direction on our paths and a light at the end of the tunnel.  When we find ourselves feeling hurt and perhaps unappreciated by those we care about, there is always consistency in the love of Christ.  He is always faithful, truthful and waiting for you to come to Him.    If you are anxious to feel loved, then embrace the warm, healing sunlight of God's love. God's love is always present!  Sometimes our human situation seems to prevent us from feeling that presence. The solution is very simple, we need to shift thoughts, efforts and hearts toward God.  "Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends." John 15:13

God's guidance is like that of the light that shone on our paths as we tried to find our way.  There is going to be times in our lives that bring confusion and we don't know the answer to the question, "why?".  We must keep our eyes on the Light so we can find our way, perhaps just to the next day, week, month, or year.  "Jesus answered, ‘I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.’” John 14:6

Finally, the greatest gift this Light offers us is a light at the end of the tunnel, the tunnel of life.  Each of us will face that end one day.  As I get older and experience the loss of others, it becomes a greater reality to me.  I do not fear that day because I know it will be a day of celebrating.  People may grieve for me when I'm gone, but I know there will be contentment in their heart knowing I'm with Jesus.  If you don't have a personal relationship with Jesus and aren't certain you will spend eternity in Heaven, it is so simple to change that.  The Bible tells us, "If you declare with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved." Romans 10:9

Look for the Light!

No comments:

Post a Comment