Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Keep Your Chin Up

The holidays are a beautiful time of year; however they are a struggle for many.  Struggles come for a variety of reasons for each of us.  The Lord gave me the truth I'm about to share with you and He continues to place it before me.  It has brought me great comfort and guidance when I tend to get caught up in the challenges of this life.

One morning as I got out of bed & began my quiet time, my mind was racing with issues surrounding me that felt like mountains.  There was so many thoughts running through my mind that caused heartache, worry, frustration, fear, etc.  I found it difficult to even focus on God's word.  Some were big concerns and some were small; however when I get upset I tend to reflect on everything at once and feel as though I'm sinking.  As I wept and opened up my devotionals and began to read, God was faithful.  He provided me a truth that I will keep with me for years to come.  Below is a portion of the devotional I read.

God says to you, "Fear not, I am thy shield, and thy exceeding great reward." Believer grasp the divine word with a personal, appropriating faith. Think that you hear Jesus say, "I have prayed for thee (me- yay!!!) that thy faith fail not." Think you see him walking on the waters of thy trouble, for he is there, and he is saying, "Fear not, it is I; be not afraid." Oh, those sweet words of Christ! May the Holy Ghost make you feel them as spoken to you; forget others for a while accept the voice of Jesus as addressed to you, and say, "Jesus whispers consolation; I cannot refuse it; I will sit under his shadow with great delight."

The thing that stuck out to me in this devotional is to see Jesus, in this case walking on the waters.  Remember the story of Peter as he stepped out of the boat because he saw Jesus walking on the water.  (Matthew 14:22-23) When Peter looked at Jesus, he too could walk on the water.  It was when he took his eyes off Jesus he began to sink into the waves.  The winds and waves are the things in life that want to pull us down.  We can't focus on them.  We have to put our eyes on Jesus and he will too say to us "fear not, it is I; be not afraid".  When the waves of life's pain gather around me I literally can feel a lump in my throat with emotions and feel as though I'm drowning.  It is then I am reminded to pull my chin up out of the water and look to Jesus.  Look to Jesus in all His love & faithfulness and continue to think of Him & His peace.

One of my sons shared this beautiful song with me and the words are a reminder of this truth.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNqo4Un2uZI&feature=player_embedded


"Grander earth has quaked before
Moved by the sound of His voice
Seas that are shaken and stirred
Can be calmed and broken for my regard
Through it all, through it all
My eyes are on You
Through it all, through it all
It is well
Through it all, through it all
My eyes are on You
It is well with me
Far be it from me to not believe
Even when my eyes can't see
And this mountain that's in front of me
Will be thrown into the midst of the sea
Through it all, through it all
My eyes are on You
Through it all, through it all
It is well
So let go my soul and trust in Him
The waves and wind still know His name
It is well with my soul
It is well with my soul
It is well with my soul
It is well with my soul"
 





 

No comments:

Post a Comment