Saturday, August 9, 2014

Brokenness vs. Healing

With over 50 years invested in this thing called life, I have a gained a greater perspective on the things that come with it.  As one gets older, it seems the threshold of pain is strengthened due to the battle wounds along life's way.  A harsh saying I have heard is "life comes at you hard and then you die".  Even though this seems negative, don't stop reading because there's a light at the end of the tunnel. From the world's perspective it seems harsh, but from God's, there's hope.

Let's start first with brokenness.  As I reflect back on my life and the lives of people I love, it is as if I can see a movie flash before my eyes of the tears I have seen people cry (including my own) because of a broken heart.  Brokenness isn't a respecter of age.  I can remember my children in younger years weeping as I held them, my father in his 70s and even my 96 year old grandmother in her final years saying "I'm ready to die because I have lost so many; it is my turn" (she had lost a son, two husbands, sisters, brothers, mom, dad, cousins and many friends).  As soon as we step outside of the womb and open our hearts up to this beautiful thing called love, we subject ourselves to being hurt.  There's a quote that speaks to this, "So it’s true, when all is said and done, grief is the price we pay for love.”  The more we love, the more we will most likely grieve.  It is inevitable, this thing called brokenness.  It will come and it will go.  Let's dig deeper to what God says about it. Psalms 51:17 "The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; A broken and a contrite heart, O God, You will not despise."  Psalms 34:18 "The LORD is near to the brokenhearted And saves those who are crushed in spirit." Psalms 147:3 "He heals the brokenhearted And binds up their wounds."  Brokenness isn't fun - but one thing we know to be true is the Lord is close to the brokenhearted.  He comes to us in our greatest need and desires to bind up our wounds.  He is the only medicine that can do that.  We can try to mask the pain with activity, other people or things of this world; however it is only Him that can rescue us from the pain.  Thus comes healing.

When we go through a difficult time, when the tears won't stop and we know the road ahead is going to be a challenge we have to make a choice.  The choice is between being broken or being healed.  God made a way for us not only for eternity but for today.  We can cry out to God and He will hear us . "O LORD my God, I cried out to You, And You healed me." Psalms 30:2  "Have mercy on me, O LORD, for I am weak; O LORD, heal me, for my bones are troubled." Psalms 6:2 "Bless the LORD, O my soul; And all that is within me, bless His holy name! Bless the LORD, O my soul, And forget not all His benefits: Who forgives all your iniquities, Who heals all your diseases, Who redeems your life from destruction, Who crowns you with lovingkindness and tender mercies." Psalms 103:1-4  God desires to hear from us...always has and always will.  The reason He sent His son was to hear from us and have a relationship with us.  In addition to calling out to God for help, we need to take steps to expedite the healing.  The way to find ointment for our wounds from this life is through the word of God. There is power in God's word to speak directly to us and our needs.  Read His truths and allow Him to pour into you His soothing balm. "He sent His word and healed them, And delivered them from their destructions." Psalms 107:20  "My son, give attention to my words; Incline your ear to my sayings. Do not let them depart from your eyes; Keep them in the midst of your heart; For they are life to those who find them, And health to all their flesh." Proverbs 4:20-22

Do you see the light?  I mentioned earlier the hope through God's eyes.  He made a way for us.  Choose healing over being broken.  "But He was wounded for our transgressions, He was bruised for our iniquities; The chastisement for our peace was upon Him, And by His stripes we are healed." Isaiah 53:5 "Then your light shall break forth like the morning, Your healing shall spring forth speedily, And your righteousness shall go before you; The glory of the LORD shall be your rear guard." Isaiah 58:8  "Heal me, O LORD, and I shall be healed; Save me, and I shall be saved, For You are my praise." Jeremiah 17:14



 

No comments:

Post a Comment