Monday, July 8, 2013

Slipping


This past weekend we were at the movie and I lost my footing.  I was able to catch myself on the railing.  I thought to myself, that could have wreaked havoc if it had gone any other way.  One scenario could have been me not being able to catch myself, fall flat on my booty and then the entire theater could have seen me wipe out.  Embarrassed?  Yes.  Even worse, I could have had a serious injury as a result of the slip and be experiencing a lot of pain.  Slipping from God's word can also cause chaos, embarrassment, & hurt in your day to day. The definition of slipping is interesting to me.  It actually has two different meanings.  1.  to move, flow, pass, or go smoothly or easily; glide; slide (as water slips off a smooth surface)  2.  to slide suddenly or involuntarily; to lose one's foothold, as on a smooth surface.  These two definitions of slipping remind me we can all gradually slip - smoothly so others don't notice it or we can have a sudden fall..  God tells us in Psalm that he is there to catch us when we find ourselves slipping.  Psalm 94:18-19 "When I said, “My foot is slipping,your unfailing love, Lord, supported me.When anxiety was great within me, your consolation brought me joy."  When you find yourself loosing your balance in life, you might want to grab on to something, namely God's word and steady yourself.  Sometimes it might seem easier to try and go through life on your own and not commit to God your time and heart, however believe me you are gradually slipping out of His protective hand and making your way toward a tumble.  God calls us to put our feet on solid ground.  Matthew 7:24-25 “Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock.  The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock."  In a world of spiritually slippery surfaces (jealousy, lust, hatred, etc.) it is extremely important to stay close to God and His word.  "Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path."  Psalm 119: 105  Falling spiritually can damage not only our own lives but the lives of other people.  "For you [God] have delivered my soul from death, yes, my feet from falling, that I may walk before God in the light of life. Psalm 56:13  Going to God when we first awake puts us on solid footing that keeps us upright and steady. He will give assurance during our walk to keep our footing even in a slippery secular society that keeps us sliding in all directions.

"Miss a week without reading the Bible, and you know it.  Miss a month without your daily Bible reading and your family begins to notice it.  Miss three months away from God's word and genuine fellowship in Christ Jesus, and the whole world around you knows about it."


 


No comments:

Post a Comment