Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Clearing the Cluttered Mind



Some mornings when I try to pray, my mind is so distracted I can't draw near to my Savior. I want desperately to just talk to Him and seek His presence. I am hungry to hear a word from Him, find what I refer to as a "God hug", or just praise Him to the point of elation. Instead, the tasks that are waiting on me for my day, the challenges I might be facing at that time, and worries of things I have no control over begin to intrude and deny me the blessing. Oh our minds are so full, yet we are running on empty. I am anxious to stop the distractions so I can just spend time with the Lord. Perhaps you struggle with this as well. Is our inability to concentrate on God during our time of prayer a reflection of our spiritual condition? Scary question to ask. I pray not. I genuinely want to talk to the Lord, but I have to ask myself am I wholeheartedly seeking to talk to God. There are times when I feel we are in a wonderful heated conversation and I feel He is hanging on every word I say. Then there are those other times when...well you know distraction sets in. Psalm 119:2 tells us to "seek Him with a whole heart".

When we pray, we need to have complete concentration on Him. Focus on Who we have the privilege to speak to. We cannot enter in to the presence of the holy God by ourselves. God is majestic. He has moral purity. He is complete holiness. God is completely inaccessible to us, no matter how hard we try. There is only one way for us to approach a holy God — we need a mediator. And there is only one mediator capable of getting us there: Jesus Christ, who died on the cross precisely so we could come to God. If you are shut out from God's presence, you can ask Jesus to become your personal Savior. Jesus died so we can have prayer. When we pray, let's be reminded the only reason God hears us is because of the horific sacrifice of Christ.   Dr. Bruce Leafblad said- "Worship is communion with God in which believers by grace center their minds attention and their hearts affection on the Lord Himself. Humbly glorifying God in response to His greatness and His worth.”

We also need to cast all our cares and distractions on Him. As those annoying thoughts of this world begin to invade our mind, we need to just hand them over to Him. He doesn't even want us to carry these burdens. "Cast your cares on the Lord and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous be shaken." Psalm 55:22 " Praise be to the Lord, to God our Savior, who daily bears our burdens." Psalm 68:19 Perhaps if we will hand these burdens over to God daily, we will be able to clear our minds and have a sweet time of fellowship with Him. “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." Matthew 11:28-30

We need to make sure our hearts are clean. Each day we need to ask God to search our hearts and show us areas we need to repent. Confession of our sins before God and a humble heart seeking forgiveness is a must to come in His presence. "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness." 1 John 1:9 "You, Lord, are forgiving and good, abounding in love to all who call to you." Psalm 86:5 "Seek the Lord while he may be found;
call on him while he is near. Let the wicked forsake their ways and the unrighteous their thoughts.
Let them turn to the Lord, and he will have mercy on them, and to our God, for he will freely pardon." Isaiah 55:6-7


 Last and most definitely not lease is we must come to God with a deep appreciation of all He has done for us.  As we seek His ear, we can reflect on all the reasons we have to be thankful. "Let us come before him with thanksgiving and extol him with music and song." Psalm 95:2 "Enter his gates with thanksgiving and his courts with praise; give thanks to him and praise his name." Psalm 100:4 
If we understand what has been given to us we will be grateful to God for the rest of our lives. No matter what life throws at us . . . we will not complain . . . but only give thanks that we did not get what we deserved. We will be grateful that we have God's strength, power, provision in our lives. We will spend the rest of our lives saying, "Why me?" If we understand the true message of the gospel there is no room for smugness. There is no room for feelings of superiority. What do you have that you have not been given? What basis for arrogance do you have? You are not a believer because of your goodness, your deeds, or even your decisions. You are a believer because God made you alive when you were dead. Thanking God for all He has done for us -  a simple act for such a sacrifice. 

Happy Praying!





























No comments:

Post a Comment