Monday, February 13, 2012

The Waves


I love the story in the Bible found in the book of Matthew about Peter. 1 Peter 14:28-31 " 'Lord, if it’s you,' Peter replied, 'tell me to come to you on the water.' 'Come,' he said. Then Peter got down out of the boat, walked on the water and came toward Jesus. But when he saw the wind, he was afraid and, beginning to sink, cried out, “Lord, save me!” Immediately Jesus reached out his hand and caught him. 'You of little faith,' he said, 'why did you doubt?' "

Each day has it's own kind of waves. Some times the water is smooth. Some times there's a slight current. Unfortunately, other days it feels like we have stepped out of the boat and the waves of life are pounding us from every direction. This story paints an incredible picture of how we should tread through the waves of life. Waves are a part of our stories - they are there for everyone. I always say if we had to hand pick our trials, what would we pick? Would we pick the ones we have? I can almost guarantee there is someone out there who would switch trials with us. When the trials hit or the waves come crashing, Jesus tells us to get out of the boat. Getting out of the boat is being brave and knowing without a shadow of a doubt we can trust Jesus. This is not an easy task! It is hard for all of us to let go and know Jesus is in complete control.  I personally haven't mastered it.  When we step out of the boat, we literally step out of our comfort zone.  We step away from what the typical reactions and perspectives of the world might be to our circumstances.  The world tells us to look around us at all our heart aches.  Jesus says no!  Don't look around at the things of this world - look to me!!! “These things I have spoken to you, so that in Me you may have peace. In the world you have tribulation, but take courage; I have overcome the world.” John 16:33  We too are like Peter, we start out on top of the waves - walking on the water.  Then we begin to see the trials and waves of this world coming at us and we begin to sink.  We sink to a place where we have taken our eyes off of Jesus.  We sink to the place where we measure our circumstances by worldly standards and lose sight of the potential outcomes/blessings Jesus has in store for us.  And He does have wonderful things in store for you.  We are reminded in Romans of how he works all things for the good of those who are called according to His purpose.  Romans 8:28

The beautiful thing about our Savior is that no matter how many times we take our eyes off Him, lose hope, fail to trust in His promises, He is still there.  Faithful as ever.  Peter cries out, "Lord save me".  He looks to Peter whose eyes show complete fear as he is sinking into the waves.  Jesus reaches His hand out and once again catches one of His children. "Do not fear, for I am with you; do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, surely I will help you, surely I will uphold you with My righteous right hand." Isaiah 41:10  Jesus is there waiting to extend His hand to us and for us to extend our heart to Him.  He is always faithful and ready to pick us back up and remind us yet another time, and another time, and another time - I am God!  I love you!  I will be here for you always! Trust me! 

Sweet friend, join with me and let's make a commitment to one another to not give in to the waves surrounding us.  Keeping our eyes on our Savior.   Let's rise above the waters and claim the promises and hold firm to our trust - our trust in which God so desperately wants us to have.  "God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth should change and though the mountains slip into the heart of the sea; though its waters roar and foam, though the mountains quake at its swelling pride. The LORD of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our stronghold."  Psalm 46:1-3,7

No comments:

Post a Comment