Monday, February 27, 2012

Rise Up!

As Christians, we are continually called to rise up. Let's start first with early rising. Each day we are faced with the choice to either start our day with the Lord or without Him. Mark 1:35 "Very early in the morning, while it was still dark, Jesus got up, left the house and went off to a solitary place, where He prayed." Psalm 5:3 "In the morning, LORD, you hear my voice; in the morning I lay my requests before you and wait expectantly." Psalm 59:16 "But I will sing of your strength, in the morning I will sing of your love; for you are my fortress, my refuge in times of trouble." Psalm 88:13 "But I cry to you for help, LORD; in the morning my prayer comes before you." Some mornings when I lie in bed contemplating rising up off my cozy pillow, Proverbs 6:9-11 speaks to me.  "How long will you lie there, you sluggard? When will you get up from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, a little folding of the hands to rest— and poverty will come on you like a thief and scarcity like an armed man." For me this scripture speaks of spiritual poverty.

We are called to rise up as children of God. When our faith is being challenged, we are to rise up and defend our Lord and the truth. Romans 1:16 "For I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God that brings salvation to everyone who believes: first to the Jew, then to the Gentile." When we have a decision to make, we are obligated to rise up and chose obedience. John 14:15 "If you love me, keep my commands." When we want so desperately to hate, we are reminded to rise up and love. John 13:34-35 "A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another." When we want to hold firmly to vindictiveness, we are to rise up and forgive. Matthew 5:44 "But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you." We must rise up and serve. Mark 10:45 "For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many." When we are weary and all hope seems gone, we must rise up out of our despair and cling to the unwavering promises of our Almighty God. Isaiah 40:31 "but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint."

Finally we will rise in our final hour. When our time here on earth is over, we will rise up to meet our Lord and spend an eternity in His presence. Romans 14:8 "If we live, we live for the Lord; and if we die, we die for the Lord. So, whether we live or die, we belong to the Lord." Romans 6:4 "We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life." The most powerful and comforting scripture, Romans 8:11 "And if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you, He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies because of His Spirit who lives in you."

We will Rise!

No comments:

Post a Comment