Friday, January 14, 2011

Peace

When do you feel the most peaceful?  There's nothing like it when you have contentment and a wave of peace fills your spirit.  It doesn't happen for me often.  I hunger for it.  Some mornings I try to be still and push away all the thoughts and concerns of the day.  However, my thoughts begin to interfere and take over, causing me to be distracted and denied the sweetness of peace.  How do we find peace in a crazy and upside down world?  You might not be like me and have animals causing distractions, children causing distractions, families causing distractions or husbands causing distractions - but I bet you have your own distractions.   Just last night I was feeling pretty content until about 3 phone calls & a couple of conversations - and then it hit me.  Peacefulness was gone.

This world is full of chaos.  I think all the chaos we have in our lives is God's reminder to us - "I'm here, come to me and find rest".  In my day to day, I see chaos in the lives of others and sometimes the chaos infects me.  I have to ask myself the question - what chaos am I spreading?  I don't think I am alone in my desire for peace.  I think some of us are screaming out for it - not literally screaming for others to hear but but deep in our hearts.

I know where peace is hiding - the Bible mentions peace over 400 times.  (I didn't count - thank you google).  The most common definition of peace is the "absence of war".  For us it is the wars raging in us and around us.  How do we see victory in these wars?   Psalms 32:7  "For you are my hiding place; you protect me from trouble.  You surround me with songs of victory."  God's word takes us to a place of peace like nothing this world can offer.  Philippians 4:7 "And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."  In Leviticus 26:6 God says I will give you peace - but if you read the verses prior to that He tells us we must strive for obedience to Him as well.  Psalm 119: 165 "Great peace have those who love your law, and nothing can make them stumble."   Can God give peace if we aren't obedient?  Yes!  However, His desire is for us to please Him and then he covers us with His peace.  This peace doesn't necessarily mean we won't face trials.  The trials will always come because we live in a very sinful world.  However in the midst of the trials God is there.  Isaiah 43:2  "When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned;  the flames will not set you ablaze."  Isaiah 26:3 says if we trust in God He will bring us peace.  There is a wonderful promise in John 14:27  "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid."   Boy do I need to cling to this.  When we are struggling the first thing we try to do is reach out to someone else.  We call all our friends, post it on facebook, go to support groups, read a self help book - I'm not saying these things are wrong or bad.  But if you really want to not have a troubled heart - seek God's peace.  He doesn't give to you as the world gives.  His peace is perfect.  Isaiah 26:3  "You will keep in perfect peace those whose minds are steadfast, because they trust in you." God is more faithful, more true & always more loving than anything of this world!   Don't go another day without seeking Him and His strength.  He is waiting and wants to give you His peace.  Psalms 29:11  " The LORD gives strength to his people; the LORD blesses his people with peace."  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment