Wednesday, December 22, 2010

"Tis the season to be jolly" - NOT

It is the week of Christmas and what I have seen isn't "jolly".  When I look around me, I see so many hurting hearts.  Why does the Christmas season have to become a time of pain for so many people?  I wonder if it is because we build up expectations of what Christmas should be and are disappointed.  When I think of people I know, there seems to be more hurting right now than joy.  Just yesterday, I was in a store and the woman in line was so rude to the poor clerk.  It was obvious the clerk was managing an entire department and somewhat frazzled.  The customer was so concerned on buying the dress for her daughter and the inefficiencies of the clerk, she couldn't find compassion for the person who was overworked.  In traffic, horns are blowing, profanities are being mouthed & the wonderful one-finger wave often presents itself.  Family members are struggling, friends are trying to figure out how to handle such a difficult year, & our children are being conformed to the ways of this world and it's not a good thing.  How do we put the joy back in the season?  It's a simple acronym I learned a long time ago but I think for this weekly blog it is appropriate.  JOY = Jesus first, Others second, & You last. 

Jesus must come first because He is the ONLY reason for the season.  Let's be reminded it is called CHRISTmas for a reason and Christ is that reason.  The Christmas season is in celebration of His birth.  The advertising, stores, decorations, & yes even the sweet Christmas movies can focus our attention on other priorities for the holiday but we must keep our eyes on the Savior who was born for our salvation.  Don't get me wrong, I love all the things that come with Christmas (my yard full of colorful lights proves that), but we can't get so caught up in it we forget Jesus.  Matthew 1 :21-23  "And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins.  Now all this was done, that it might be fulfilled which was spoken of the Lord by the prophet, saying,  Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us."  What does the birth of Jesus mean to me & you -  We have been chosen by God and adopted as His children.  This wonderful adoption took place through the One who was born in the manger.  Ephesians 1:3-8 "Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in the heavenly realms with every spiritual blessing in Christ. For he chose us in him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in his sight. In love he predestined us to be adopted as his sons through Jesus Christ, in accordance with his pleasure and will to the praise of his glorious grace, which he has freely given us in the One he loves. In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace that he lavished on us with all wisdom and understanding."  When I focus on Jesus and being His daughter, it takes the stress, pressure, heartaches & pain of the world around me away!  No matter what our circumstances, He is always there, always loves us, always faithful and always in control.  Thank God!!!  This life is hectic, confusing, & not an easy thing and I personally NEED Him.  Remember the "J" in joy and put your first focus on Him. 

The second letter is "O".  Believe me others need our focus on them as much as we need others to be mindful of us.  Take time to look around and smile at others, pray for others, give to others, reach out to others, help others, and be forgiving of others.  The "O" comes before the "Y" for a reason.  It actually feels better when we give of ourselves for the sake of others and take the attention off us.  So many times, the world becomes about me and for some reason when that happens, I lose my joy.  When I begin to pray for others and place my cares to the side, I release myself from the bondage of the very popular "pity party."  It is a freedom I can't explain other than the beautiful hand of God.   1 Peter 4:8  "Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins."   Romans 12:9-10  "Let love be genuine. Abhor what is evil; hold fast to what is good. Love one another with brotherly affection. Outdo one another in showing honor."  John 4: 7-12  "Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God.  Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love.  This is how God showed his love among us: He sent his one and only Son into the world that we might live through him.  This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins.  Dear friends, since God so loved us, we also ought to love one another. No one has ever seen God; but if we love one another, God lives in us and his love is made complete in us. " 

The last letter, yes the last letter is "Y" for you.  Try to put yourself after Jesus and others.  It is easy to focus only on ourselves but believe me there are so many people out there who have it much worse than you.  As I showered the other night I grew frustrated because the water kept going cold, but how fortunate I am to have water to shower.  When I get home and become stressed out because my basement now looks like a fraternity house (children are home), I am reminded how blessed I am to have the gift of my precious children and the fact God has entrusted them to me ( I pray I won't fail them or Him).  When my dryer breaks and it needs a new motor - I am blessed to have so many clothes to dry that it would wear out the dryer motor.  I could go on and on but you get the point.  Focus on the things that matter this season - Jesus, Others and You and your blessings.  Find JOY this Christmas season.  Have a very Merry Christmas and I pray God will bless you and yours. 

No comments:

Post a Comment