Monday, September 13, 2010

Words for Healing

One of my favorite scriptures is found in Proverbs 10, it tells us to be sensible and to turn off the flow.  The flow meaning our talking.  I find it humorous as I write this blog because honestly I felt this weekend God turned off the flow, not mine but His - I searched scriptures, had my quiet time and kept trying to be still and seek a word from Him to share in my blog.  He had turned off the flow or my heart wasn't open enough to hear Him speaking to me - I still have a dificult time trying to understand when God is silent.  I followed my same routine -got up early,  sat in my same chair, read my Bible, seeked Him and nothing.  None the less, I have chosen to be faithful to my blog and venture out on my own praying God will be His beautiful faithful self and bless it. 

Being a woman in my 40s (yes I still have a few more years left), I have tremendous experience with those times when I should have turned off the flow.  How often do we find ourselves opening our mouth when we should have kept it shut?  It amazes me at what an early age we start this horrible and destructive habit.  God's word speaks very clearly about our speech or more specifically about our tongue.  Psalm 52:2   "The tongue deviseth mischiefs; like a sharp razor, working deceitfully."  Proverbs 15:4  "The tongue that brings healing is a tree of life, but a deceitful tongue crushes the spirit."  Our tongue or better yet our choice to use it for good or bad can destroy or give life.  There are many times in our lives when we are put in circumstances and we feel the need for our tongue to be set free.   Sometimes we might be angry and heaven help the target of our words.  There might be other reasons for us to speak when we know we shouldn't or say things we know aren't pleasing to God.  I know for me personally if put in a situation where "tongues" are flowing and not necessarily for the good of anyone, I have this feeling  if I don't add my two cents I feel an awkardness.  I am trying to work on this.  So many times it isn't until after the fact I learn the valuable lesson to not speak unless  I have something good to say.  Ephesians 4: 29-30  "Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear."  I truly believe it grieves God when the words of our mouths tear down others and don't build others up.  It grieves Him even when we are talking about "really bad" people or people who are making horrible choices or people who don't think like we do.  I have to remind myself - there is one judge and He does stand at the door and watches.  He doesn't need our help.  If anything when people are bad, making bad choices or aren't  like me, the worst thing I can do is use my vicious tongue to try and tear them down further.  We are called to edify people and lift them up.  It is God's job to break them and bring them to their knees not ours. 

How do we stop this destructive and God-grieving habit?  We must learn to guard our tongues!  Psalm 39:1  "I will watch my ways and keep my tongue from sin;  I will put a muzzle on my mouth as long as the wicked are in my presence."  Psalm 141:3  "Set a guard over my mouth, O Lord; keep watch over the door of my lips."  Proverbs 13:3  "He who guards his lips guards his life, but he who speaks rashly will come to ruin."  Proverbs 21: 23  "He who guards his mouth and his tongue keeps himself from trouble."   Well, if that isn't enough of God's word to convince you He wants us to watch our mouths you might have a deeper problem.  It is apparent God knows our mouths are a weakness and He speaks very clearly about how we need to stand guard over them.  I personally am going to pray for Him to help me in this area, to stop before I speak and try to measure it up to His word, and really put on some hefty God armor (Ephesians 6:10-17) before I walk into a room where I know there will be plenty of opportunities to throw in my two cents.  

I want to conclude with some encouragement since I have scolded us all.  There is a beautiful thing about the tongue.  I know through my loved ones & precious friends (who are so kind to read my blog), the tongue can offer healing and life.  So many times I have been broken hearted and struggling when their words have comforted me, healed the hurt or offered direction.  Proverbs 16:24 " Pleasant words are as honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones."  Ephesians 4:29  "Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen."  Proverbs 12:25  "An anxious heart weighs a man down, but a kind word cheers him up."  Everyday we start out with the opportunity to glorify God or not.  Keep His words close to your heart and be mindful to honor them.  I feel certain we have all fell victim to someone's tongue.  Watch over your words and let others feel the sweetness of God flow through you.

2 comments:

  1. I really needed to hear this. Thank You.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are welcome sweet friend. I was telling it to myself as well. Thanks for reading.

    ReplyDelete