Tuesday, September 7, 2010

A Light in the Darkness

How do we find comfort in our darkest hours?  Dark hours vary for each person.  Some of our cups are overflowing - living in fear of betrayal, grieving the loss of a loved one, suffering from a horrible sickness, having to watch as a loved one suffers, struggling with starvation, being in a violent or abusive situation and unfortunately the list goes on.  No matter what your pain or how deep your pain may be or even how overwhelming your pain is - the answer is the comfort found in knowing and trusting Jesus.  Psalm 9: 9-10  "The LORD is a refuge for the oppressed, a stronghold in times of trouble. Those who know your name will trust in you, for you, LORD, have never forsaken those who seek you."   Psalm 147: 3  "He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds."

How does knowing and trusting Jesus help?  How do we trust Jesus and find relief in our pain?  My darkest hours, though they be difficult for me, haven't been as dark as most.  After my mission trip to Africa, I realized this.  Let me share some about my relationship with Christ.  I grew up going to church and accepted Christ as my Savior at an early age - which means I acknowledged He died on the cross for my sins so I can spend eternity with Him in heaven when I die.  John 3:16  "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life."  In my younger years, I thought that was enough.  It wasn't until years later after a lot of mistakes, I realized there was so much more.  It was actually during some of my darkest hours, I came to understand God's love for me and that He not only sent His son to die on the cross for me, but He desires to have a relationship with me.  Accepting Jesus as your Savior is only the beginning.  Knowing Him, spending time with Him and striving to live a life of obedience for Him is when I began to have peace and realize the awesomeness of being His child.  Sometimes I ask myself, why did God speak to my heart so clearly, draw me to Him and open my eyes to who He is?  Was I at the right place at the right time?  Was I so broken in my circumstances He heard me crying out?  I don't know.  I just know I want everyone to have what I have.

One evening my circumstances were overwhelming.  My heart was broken.  I just wanted relief from all the hurt, confusion and pain.  I remember getting up from my bed, going to my living room, getting on my knees and crying out to God from the depths of my soul.  There on my knees, tears rolling down my face and in my brokenness, an incredible peace came over me.  The peace I had longed for suddenly had stilled my heart.  In awe, I stood up, went upstairs and crawled in my empty bed and went sound to sleep.  I knew Who had given me this peace.  From that moment on, I would trust in Him and the promises He speaks of in His word.  I haven't ever forgotten that moment and never will.  Since that evening, there have been countless times when life seemed upside down and through scriptures, a song or a prayer, God has comforted me.      2 Corinthians 1: 3-4  "Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God." 

Why do I write this blog, teach Sunday School classes, feed the homeless, go to Africa, and spend time every day with my Savior?  I do these things with the desire others will see my relationship with Christ and want it!  How do people survive their darkest hours without Him?  He is the ultimate healer.  This world gets darker and darker as years pass and is filled with more sin every day.  It never fails, with that sin, there is always consequences.  We all suffer the consequences of the sin around us.  If you don't have a relationship with Christ, please get to know who He is.  Pray to God and ask Jesus to come into your heart, get a Bible and study about Him & discover ways to have fellowship with Him.  He is waiting and hoping you will.  Seek God - He is the one true light who can cease the darkness within you.  1 John 1:5  "God is light in Him there is no darkness at all."

No comments:

Post a Comment