Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Bloom!

This word “bloom” reminds me of one of my greatest challenges during the summer months.  I’ve spent countless money and time attempting to add color to my home with beautiful flowers, only to watch the intense Georgia heat cause them to wither away.  All I have left is empty pots and some pots with dried up flowers that don’t stand a chance of being revived.  Why do the flowers have to wither and die?  Well, for my flowers they are constantly thirsty and the heat of this world is just too much. 

 

As I read in Psalm chapter 1, I am reminded of another thirst.  A thirst brought on by the daily drought of life that can cause our spiritual life to wither.  In life, we can become weary and feel some days are too much.  What can we do to not feel weak as though our hope is wilting?  God has living water that can quench any need.   When we seek this living water, God’s word, we can begin to become like the tree planted by a stream mentioned in Psalm 1:3 “He will be like a tree firmly planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in its season and its leaf does not wither; and in whatever he does, he prospers.”  I envision the root of the tree under the ground and the flowing water finding its way to the root.  The refreshing water making its way to the body of the tree and as a result it yields the beautiful fruit of the spirit.  Every time I read that verse I want to plant myself firmly by the streams of Jesus’ word and allow it to enter my heart; so I can yield or bloom a God honoring fruit (fruit of the spirit –  “love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control” Galatians 5:22-23).

 

How do we bloom and not wither?  A great answer to that question is found in the previous verse in Psalm 1:2 “But his delight is in the law of the Lord, and in His law he meditates day and night.”  Where are you finding your delight?  If you delight only in the things of this world and do not thirst for a personal relationship with the Lord, then you will find yourself lacking or thirsting.  Your soul will become dry and in need of a fresh drink of water.  God gives us living water when we spend time with Him.  But whoever drinks of the water that I will give him shall never thirst; but the water that I will give him will become in him a well of water springing up to eternal life.” John 4:14 God gave His son because He loves us and wants to pour His living water/His word into our lives.  Living water that can quench any thirst we might have today.  Also, a water that will carry us into eternity where we will then drink from the water of life we read about in Revelations 22:1-2, “Then he showed me a river of the water of life, clear as crystal, coming from the throne of God and of the Lamb, in the middle of its street. On either side of the river was the tree of life, bearing twelve kinds of fruit, yielding its fruit every month; and the leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations.  Bloom!

No comments:

Post a Comment