Thursday, December 15, 2011

Temporary vs. Eternal

"So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal."  2 Corinthians 4:18

Things that are seen: Things of earth
Things that are not seen: God, grace, heaven

Let's look first at things that are temporary. Some things that are temporary can include our homes, clothes, cars, jobs, money, being liked, earthly bodies, etc. These things become very important to us. How much focus do we put on the temporary things of this world? I would say probably close to 100% of our energy. These are the things that consume our heart, mind, and time. We have been told a lie throughout the years. The lie is that the temporary things of today will make us complete and happy.  I have bought into it! When I have issues in these areas, I begin to stress. Honestly, I find such peace when my house is in order, my car is clean, and I like what I'm wearing. Shallow, I know. These might not be "your" temporary things; but I bet you have some. Why and how do these things bring us peace? Should they? Should they consume us and determine our state of mind?  I'm not saying these things are bad, but what I am saying is they shouldn't determine our peace. These things mentioned are the temporary things we cling to. There are other temporary things in our day to day we hold on to, but really wish we could let them go. These include worry, heartache, financial pressure, poor health, rejection, etc. We forget these things are temporary and I'm here to remind you - THEY TOO ARE TEMPORARY!  Some temporary things are shiny and fun, some aren't. However, both can steal, kill and destroy our happiness. John 10:10 "The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full."

Now, let's look at the things unseen - things that are eternal.  The Bible gives us direction on focusing on things which are eternal.  Let's start with faith.  Faith in God is like holding His hand until our blessings become sight. “Fight the good fight of faith, lay hold on eternal life.” (I Tim. 6:12) And our weapon in this battle is the “sword of the Spirit, which is the Word of God,” the truth.—Eph. 6:17  There are other qualities included in the eternal things we can grab hold of today.  Those include, virtue, knowledge -“Happy is the man that findeth wisdom, and the man that getteth understanding. Length of days [eternity] is in her right hand; and in her left hand riches and honor.” (Prov. 3:13,16; 2:1-6), patience, Godliness, kindness and love.  All these things last forever.  Even when you lose a loved one, you will always be able to feel their love in your heart, remember their kindnesss and speak of their Godliness.  These are the things to hold firmly to.  Why release the temporal things we focus on and cling to the eternal?  Temporal things can perish, but these precious gifts will not!   James 4:14 says "whereas you do not know what will happen tomorrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapor that appears for a little time and then vanishes away."  Col.3:1-4: “If then you were raised with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ is, sitting at the right hand of God. Set your mind on things above, not on things on the earth."  In the book of Corinthians, Paul states the true secret of bearing trials with patience is to look at the things which are unseen. To anticipate the glories of the heavenly world. To fix the eye on the eternal happiness which is beyond the grave; and to reflect how short these trials are, compared with the eternal glories of heaven; and how short they will seem to be when we are finally there." 

In summary, begin today and put more of your emotion, attention and time toward the things of God.  I am reminded of the the temporal things in my life.  I can spend time with God during the day or clean my house.  If I clean my house, I can promise you it will be dirty again tomorrow.  However if I spend time with God, I'm investing in my present life and in eternity.  That one is easy to figure out.  (I'm not saying to have a nasty house, but you get the picture).  We might spend an entire day shopping for that perfect outfit - how many times have you spent an entire day drawing close to the Lord or serving him? 

Focus on eternal things - “Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal.  But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal.  For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."

No comments:

Post a Comment