Thursday, November 17, 2011

"My Lord"



I am reminded today of years past.  It was a time when I went to church every Sunday and really desired to be a Christian.  I remember even thinking, if I can try to be like Christ - I can be a good Christian.  At that  time, my idea of  Christ was not as it should be...perhaps because I hadn't studied Who He really is.  It wasn't until later years, that I was able to get a better picture of Christ and His heart for me.  Today I am able to recognize Christ as my Savior and Christ as my Lord.  As our Savior, Christ died on the cross to save us from our sins.  As our Lord, He is even more.  In my early 30s when I experienced a great loss, I realized my need not only for a Savior but also for the hand of my Lord.  Don't get me wrong, I know the awesome gift of Christ as my Savior and know the price He paid for my sins.  However, today I feel I am experiencing the sweet gift of Christ as my Lord each and every day - not just for salvation but for an abundant life today.  "... I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full."  John 10:10

Most people who read my blog will say they believe in the Lord.  But my question is "Who is He to you?"  Do you call Him THE Lord or MY Lord?  Do you just know about Him but not truly know Him?  "In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead. But someone will say, “You have faith; I have deeds.” Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by my deeds. You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that—and shudder."  James 2:19  It isn't about just believing in Jesus!   As the scripture I sited just said - "even the demons believe".   It's much more than that.  It is embracing a life with Him every day.  It is seeking Him through everything life brings our way.  Making Him our Lord is when we make a decision to give Him  complete authority over our life.  One way we can do that is to study His word and gain an understanding of what His authority says and requires of us - Reading God's word and obeying it.

John 3:16 is a well-known scripture.  Sometimes I think we hear it so much it doesn't impact us emotionally.  "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." When I went to seek counsel during my difficult time, I remember the lady I spoke with telling me how much Jesus loved me.  It was hard for me to fathom that love.  It was a love from an unknown source.  I had heard about Jesus growing up but did I really know Him?   Even though it was hard for me to understand it then, I knew I wanted it and more than anything needed it.  I began to not only believe the truth but claim it and embrace it -He loves me.  He loves me with a love greater than anything I will ever know this side of heaven.  I grabbed hold of His love and in me grew a hunger and thirst to know more and more about Him. He wants us to spend time with Him.  He wants us to call on Him always.  He is faithful and waiting for us - because He loves us so.  "O taste and see that the LORD is good: blessed is the man that trusteth in Him."  Psalm 34:8

Today, He is My Lord! 

O Christ, in Thee my soul hath found
  And found in Thee alone,
The peace, the joy I sought so long,
  The bliss till now unknown.                                                         

I sighed for rest and happiness,
  I yearned for them, not Thee;
But while I passed my Saviour by,
  His love laid hold of me.

Now none but Christ can satisfy,
  None other name for me;
There's love, and life, and lasting joy,
  Lord Jesus, found in Thee.
   —Author unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment