Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Scars of Life

I am really stepping out on a dangerous limb this week, but feel compelled to go there.  I'm writing this blog because I have scars from my past that haunt me. I am thinking maybe you do too. When I think about taking a deep look into my inner self, sometimes it frightens me. Why - because I know it will expose memories of past failures & pain and resurrect fears of the future. I pray as I write this God will speak clearly and give us a word to comfort and guide us all through the painful memories of our past.  Whatever your hurt is - be certain God wants to use it for His glory.

Recently, for whatever reason some memories from my past have raised their ugly heads and given me reason to suffer from extreme insecurities and trust issues.  These are my scars.  Scars take on all sorts of disguises and believe me Satan uses them all for one purpose.  John 10:10  " The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy."   Some other scars might include guilt, fear, hurt, resentment, lack of forgiveness, and there are many others.  Whatever your scars might be - I want to walk with you through the challenges and heartaches they can bring. 

The second part of John 10:10 says "I (Jesus) have come that they may have life, and have it to the full".   Jesus came so that we may have life and to the fullest.  If Satan can keep us focused on our scars and the past that created them, then we will continue to hurt and not enjoy life to the fullest. We will continue to only cause pain to ourselves and possibly even deny ourselves love.  Jesus is the picture of God's love and He is the way to be healed. Think about the definition of love in 1 Corinthians 13:4  "Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres."  Jesus is the picture of love...this love.   Jesus can heal our hearts and wants to.  He can restore our love. 1 John 4: 9-10  "This is how God showed his love among us: He sent his one and only Son into the world that we might live through him. This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins."  Jesus can give us back everything the devil has stolen. Listen. The biggest lie that the devil will tell you is that you suffered alone. This is not true! No matter where you were, no matter what happened to you. No matter how difficult things were. No matter how painful, scary or lonely it was. No matter how great the lies, abuse, the abandonment, the fear, or the violence was. No matter...... YOU WERE NOT ALONE! Jesus was with you!  Matthew 1:23  "they will call him Immanuel—which means, God with us."  He stood with you, He suffered with you!  He was touched with the feeling of your difficulties..the feeling--He knows what you went through because He felt it Himself--for you and with you....  What a comfort to know He is with us always!  2 Corinthians 1: 3-4  "Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God"

How do we heal the scars?  We don't.  We use them to keep us humble.  We use them to have empathy and a heart for those who are hurting.  We use them to realize we too are human.  We use them to remind of us of our great need for a Savior.  We use them to draw us ever closer to the Lord.  We use them - beautiful scars.  Don't let Satan win in his battle to "steal, kill & destroy" us with our scars.  Take what has happened in your life and let God use it to His glory.  Romans 8:28  "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose."  My scars are ever present in my life and sometimes those I love pay the price.  I'm still a work in progress.  Philippians 1:6 "And I am certain that God, who began the good work within you, will continue his work until it is finally finished on the day when Christ Jesus returns."  When those scars raise their ugly heads in your life, look up and stay close to Christ.  Be reminded that when you were hurting - God was there.  When you are hurting - God is there.  And when you hurt again - God will be there.

No comments:

Post a Comment